Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Catching up

Hi Friends. We’ve been busy, but not blogging so I need to catch up.

Thursday the 6th we attended the Year Christmas party for Master Gardeners, spoke to Bud Hines about teaching a composting class. Also, Mike Payne agreed to head an effort to get master gardeners here in January to build planter boxes.

We have been having a challenging time with family members who already live here at LMSH transitioning to a cooperative living model. We are constantly trying new ways of communication and negotiation. Such is the cooperative life…

Saturday 8th we attended Sequatchie Valley Institute’s Craft sale. We went more towards the end of the day and were able to spend some time talking with the residents there.

Tuesday 11th was our Christmas Open House and Holiday Handmade Gift Party. About 15 people braved the darkenss. I sold handmade earrings, Emily sold crocheted scarves and sewn bags. Lori sold homemade jam, mistletoe. The cabin looked beautiful!

Camilla decided she needed some time away from the homestead so she left on the 11th so spend some time with her grandmother. It was a nice break for all of us, and she returned almost a week later on the 17th.

Wednesday 12th we attended Lisa Holt’s open house in Hixson. We met a few very interesting like minded individuals, one who a farm school up north for a year.

Thursday 13th Shalamee Campbell visited and toured LMSH.

On the 15th I sold handmade jewelry at the Brainerd Farmer’s Market.

Sunday 16th was Pickin – handed out Spanish class fliers and LMSH memberships sheets. A friend I met in when I lived in Winston-Salem was passing through Chattanooga so I invited him to Pickin. Somehow we talked him into coming up the mountain with us and he has been hanging out with us since.

Monday 17th, tackled wood pile, removed nails, Certified Wildlife Habitat through national Wildlife Federation.

Tuesday 18th - We became an official station of Community Collaborate Rain, Hail & Snow Network. Our duty is to report precipitation daily.

We also learned to slaughter chickens at Wildwood Harvest with Keith and Katie Bien. It was an eye opening experience. I appreciate the spirituality they have for the process and the appreciation they have for the lives of their chickens. Lori eats meat and feels she should participate in slaughtering but was not able to do the act. She doesn’t want to be hypocritical but is not ready to take the life. She had no problem defeathering and gutting them though. I don’t feel I need to participate since I don’t eat meat and never have beyond a few tastes. Kevin was able to slaughter 2 chickens and enjoyed learning the process.

We have concluded that if you eat only meat that you have slaughtered, you’d eat a lot less meat due to the time and effort involved. It’s likely that because of industrialized meat production it has become easier to eat the amount of meat we do these days.

Wednesday 19th – Today we were FINALLY able to put a planter box together. We got a LOT done in the garden area. I made bread and it turned out much better than it has in the past. We ate well, I did laundry and made a trip to town, bought groceries. Kevin and I got two screens ready for screen printing tomorrow. It has been a good day. Oh! And Kevin cleaned our fireplace.

We have been super psyched about having him here. He has been a big help around the house and garden. He is good with wood and he has tackled our lumber pile aggressively and today (the 19th) finished one planter box! It’s nice to have new energy here. It is giving us a taste of having a regular intern here. Unfortunately he’s only staying until Friday, then he will move on to his next adventure.

Kevin is traveling from Michigan to Louisiana on bicycle…with his sweet dog Maggie Mae. I think we’ve decided that a canine like her here at LMSH would be a wonderful addition. Hopefully at the next chance we get we’ll be able to get one.

I will do my best to blog more often. I would post pics, but a bunch of my pics disappeared off my camera. I hope I can find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment