Saturday, November 24, 2012

A week of accomplishments

We would like to make a blog post every day listing the things we accomplished as we work towards our goals. I moved here to the homestead on the 16th of November, which was a Friday.

On Monday November 19 we started working. We cleaned the basement out and began to make space for exercise equipment that was being delivered. Our friend Emily Franklin donated a load of Hickory firewood. Thank you Emily! I started to set up my screenprinting area in the basement. We began dehydrating bananas to save them from rotting. Actually this took a couple of days and we never got them completely dry, but they should be dehydrated enough to store. Lori and I also had a meeting with Emily while she was here to plan our "Holiday Handmade Gift Party." What's that? I make jewelry, Emily knits and sews. We're throwing a party on December 11th here at the Homestead and will be selling our products. It will be a great way to support local small businesses and craftspeople.

On Tuesday November 20 I feel we didn't get as much done. I have to get used to this fluctuation in accomplishments and not let it get me down. I'm used to working regular jobs where you show up and get paid no matter what. Well, when you're homesteading you just do the best you can and get done what you can. I opened bank accounts and worked on my personal things. Lori worked on her finances. Later in the afternoon/evening, I pulled out jewelry making things and Lori and I had fun making jewelry. We also made plans for the web site and blog on Tuesday.

On Wednesday November 21 we walked through the property and discussed plans for the land. Jen did laundry. Yay! Lori researched info in the wee hours of the morning… We moved the firewood stand to the porch and filled it with firewood because it's supposed to be getting colder. We also did something I thought was very fun. We harvested zenia and marigold seeds from the dried flowers. We also worked in the front perennial garden. I really enjoy working outside.

Thursday November 22 was Thanksgiving day. We are very thankful to have this place, and that for the most part we get along very well. I'm thankful to be living in such a beautiful place and to have such great friends.

Friday November 23 was a recover from Thanksgiving day. I don't remember what all we accomplished. It was colder that day. We have discussed making the first half of the day from about 9 to noon the gardening/farming portion of our day just to give us structure. However we might have to move that to the warmer part so the day as winter develops.

And TODAY is Saturday November 24. Well it WAS. I see it is now almost 1 am on the 25th. Today Lori got a LOT done with the website. She bought the domain name and created the facebook page. I converted my old blog that I never used into what you are seeing now. We talked about the mission and vision. Lori reminded me a couple of times that we need a logo. Yeah, yeah Lori, I'll get to it : ) We had a visit from Laurel and her boyfriend. I managed to take a 40 minute walk in the neighborhood this afternoon. It was so invigorating. Such a beautiful community it is. I made granola after Camilla and I escaped to Chattanooga for a couple hours. While I was gone I bought 3 bulbs of organic garlic to plant.

Wow does time ever fly. I've already been back in the Chattanooga area for a week. So glad to be back.

We hope you continue to check back with us as we report daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment